latest Firefox fails on https

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sat Dec 29 19:00:35 PST 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 23:45 +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> Quoting Joe Marcus Clarke, who wrote on Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 04:03:14PM -0500 ..
> >

> > PGP Key : http://www.marcuscom.com/pgp.asc
> >
> > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> >
> > >Quoting Joe Marcus Clarke, who wrote on Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 01:51:53PM
> > >-0500 ..

> > >OK what I did in the meantime:
> > >- I rebuilt world from the very latest CVS.  Just To Be Sure basically.
> > >- I removed nss, nspr, firefox.
> > >- I pkg_add -r from your site nss/nspr/firefox
> > >
> > >pkg_add gives me a couple of warnings like so:
> > >
> > >===> Building Chrome's registry...
> > >pkg_add: warning: package 'firefox-2.0.0.11,1' requires 'png-1.2.23', but
> > >'png-1.2.22' is installed
> > >pkg_add: warning: package 'firefox-2.0.0.11,1' requires
> > >'pkg-config-0.22_1',
> > >but 'pkg-config-0.22' is installed
> > >pkg_add: warning: package 'firefox-2.0.0.11,1' requires 'cairo-1.4.12', but
> > >'cairo-1.4.10_1' is installed
> > >pkg_add: warning: package 'firefox-2.0.0.11,1' requires 'glib-2.14.4', but
> > >'glib-2.14.2' is installed
> > >pkg_add: warning: package 'firefox-2.0.0.11,1' requires 'gtk-2.12.3', but
> > >'gtk-2.12.1_1' is installed
> > >
> > >that is probably due to your build system using a bit newer bits than my
> > >laptop has.
> > >
> > >And voila: It Still Does Not Work  (which made me bang my head against a
> > >wall for a bit, but that aside).
> > >
> > >I will fire up a test box and try it there.  This stuff really stumps me.
>
> OK.. more data points:
> - testbox went up to 8.0-current from the same CVS repo as chuck, my laptop.
> - I pkg-added xorg from the public servers
> - Then I grabbed nss, nspr, firefox from marcuscom.com
> - Ran firefox, just works with https
>
> Said something nasty. Had a wine.  Then:
>
> Removed all packages from chuck, pkg_add -r firefox from marcuscom.com
> as much as possible.  Given not all required packages are on marcuscom.com
> grabbed the missing ones from the public servers.
>
> Started firefox.  https does not work.
>
> So whatever it is, it is only on the laptop. %-( %-(

Yeah, this was my assumption when you said my MC packages didn't work
the first time.  I KNOW those packages are good.  In these types of
situations, I usually look at environmental things.  What env vars are
shared between your usual chuck account and your test chuck account that
are not found on the working test server?  What sysctl, boot.conf,
kernel, or rc.conf settings differ between the two machines?  What
libraries differ with regard to checksums from the following list:

/lib/libthr.so.3
/lib/libc.so.7
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
/lib/libz.so.4
/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
/lib/libm.so.5
/usr/lib/librpcsvc.so.4

What about the output of
"ldd /usr/local/lib/firefox/components/libpipnss.so" from both machines?
I figure the answer has to exist in one of those things.