multislot cardreader and hald

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Fri Dec 21 09:24:49 PST 2007

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 05:59:44 -0600, Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua> wrote:

> on 20/12/2007 19:03 Jeremy Messenger said the following:
>> I am no expert on hald, but if I understand it correct. If there is no
>> probe in hald then hald will never know if you put/keep your da disks in
>> and pull out. I bet other OSs do the same things. Correct me if I am
>> wrong.
>
> I now see what you are saying and this makes a lot of sense indeed. And
> I agree that FreeBSD kernel is overly verbose about such a condition -
> after all it is normal that a device with a ("field") removable media
> can have no media. I need to check how FreeBSD 7 behaves in this respect

FreeBSD 7 beahves same. I have 7.0-BETA4 (Dec 13). If I put DVD movie in
and I will get over 16k lines in message under a minute.

http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/messages.txt.bz2

If I put a blank CD in and I only get less than ten lines in messages. I
can't wait for someone to fix FreeBSD because that over 16k lines under a
minute is very annoy.

> - I still use 6.2.
> BTW, it seems that the messages come from SCSI/CAM code, so USB code
> might not be a culprit here, it's just a "transport" for SCSI.
>
> OTOH, I wonder why the same doesn't happen for empty CD tray ? - I mean
> the constant querying (errors are still printed on access).
> This is a very un-educated guess: maybe HAL knows that acd/cd can have
> have no media and does some checks before accessing it, but maybe it
> expects that da always has media and so it tries to access it without
> any special checks ?
> I.e. one can simply open and try to read da device or one could issue
> some SCSI commands to query the actual HW.

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org