Gdm and user localization

Alberto Rizzi greenant at fastmail.fm
Fri Aug 31 10:22:05 PDT 2007

Marcin Wisnicki ha scritto:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:07:12 +0200, Alberto Rizzi wrote:
>>> another way is to create file /etc/sysconfig/language with:
>>>
>>> echo it_IT.UTF-8
>>>
>> This doesn't work and I didn't find any documentation about it in the
>> FreeBSD world, but only under Suse and other linux distro
>>

> Look into /usr/local/sbin/gdm, it's a shell script.
>
> It sources /etc/profile and then if LANG is still unset it will
> evaluate /etc/sysconfig/languages as value of LANG.
>
> Both ways work for me.

I did a mistake. I put LANG=it_IT.ISO8859-15 instead of it_IT.ISO8859-15
in language file but it still doesn't work

#cat /etc/sysconfig/language
it_IT.ISO8859-15

#ls -l /etc/sysconfig/language
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  17 31 Aug 19:07 /etc/sysconfig/language

I'm trying to debug the script but I don't know nothing about sh script
What does this mean?
     LANG=`. /etc/sysconfig/language; echo $RC_LANG`