Gdm and user localization

Alberto Rizzi greenant at fastmail.fm
Fri Aug 31 09:07:33 PDT 2007

Marcin Wisnicki ha scritto:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 03:10:37 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 09:02 +0200, Alberto Rizzi wrote:
>>> Seems that gdm use the system default language, but how can I set the
>>> system default language?
>>>
>>> I can set the user language (in .login_conf) or the user-class language
>>> (in login.conf) but how can I set a system default language?
>>>
>>> Through an environment variable?
>> For now, edit /usr/local/etc/rc.d/gdm and add:
>>
>> export LANG=it_IT.UTF-8
>>
>> Joe
This works but it is only a partial solution, because in works only for
gdm, and not other programs

> another way is to create file /etc/sysconfig/language with:
>
> echo it_IT.UTF-8

This doesn't work and I didn't find any documentation about it in the
FreeBSD world, but only under Suse and other linux distro

I have to export the LANG variable for each user, with or without shell
access. If I export LANG through /etc/profile I accomplish this task but
  that overrides settings in ~/.login_conf

I need something that is indipendent from the shell and doesn't
ovverride settings in ~/.login_conf