tracker 0.6.1 and fam

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 23:36:04 PDT 2007

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 12:55:41AM -0500, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:28:58 -0500, Kostik Belousov <kostikbel at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >is it official that gnome must use gamin now, and devel/fam no more
> >supported ?
>
> The gamin has been default for pretty long time in GNOME. As for the
> tracker, I have no idea and it was there when I updated it. You can remove
> 'WANT_FAM_SYSTEM=gamin' from Makefile and see if the fam works fine with
> tracker. Let me know and I shall remove it to allow users to select which
> they want.

No, it does not build with devel/fam. Configure script checks for gamin
explicitely, aborting process unless gamin is found.

I had fam installed because I needed fam support for samba, and somehow
gamin caused smbd to either core dump or loop. I had no time to look into
the issue. With fam, samba worked good enough.

For now, I did portupgrade -f -o devel/gamin fam.

Another issue with tracker: compilation looks for includes in
/usr/local/include before the source directory. The result
is that the in-place update fails. I have to remove/rename
/usr/local/include/tracker.h to upgrade.