ports/104561: nautilus CPU usage jumps to 100%

Russ Francis russell.francis at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 15:00:43 UTC 2006

The following reply was made to PR ports/104561; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Russ Francis" <russell.francis at gmail.com>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, almindor at gmail.com
Subject: Re: ports/104561: nautilus CPU usage jumps to 100%
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 09:51:43 -0500

 I have experienced the same problem for quite some time.  I can't tell
 what triggers it but after using nautilus for sometimes seconds, other
 times days it eventually seems to jump to 100% cpu usage.  I recently
 updated from gnome 2.14 to 2.16 and still have the same issues.

 I am running a single cpu system 6.1-RELEASE-p10 i386

 I have managed to ktrace the process while it was eating cpu time. In
 an effort to help move this bug along, I have posted the ktrace at the
 following URL.

 http://bsd-bug-104561.iwouldrather.com/ktrace-nautilus-cpuhog.out.bz2

 A ktrace of the process under normal conditions is also provided at

 http://bsd-bug-104561.iwouldrather.com/ktrace.out.bz2

 Nautilus seems to be repeatedly calling gettimeofday?

  11940 nautilus RET   gettimeofday 0
  11940 nautilus CALL  gettimeofday(0xbfbfe2c8,0)
  11940 nautilus RET   gettimeofday 0
  11940 nautilus CALL  gettimeofday(0xbfbfe2c8,0)
  11940 nautilus RET   gettimeofday 0
  11940 nautilus CALL  gettimeofday(0xbfbfe2c8,0)
  11940 nautilus RET   gettimeofday 0
  11940 nautilus CALL  gettimeofday(0xbfbfe2c8,0)
  11940 nautilus RET   gettimeofday 0
  11940 nautilus CALL  gettimeofday(0xbfbfe2c8,0)
  11940 nautilus RET   gettimeofday 0
  11940 nautilus CALL  gettimeofday(0xbfbfe2c8,0)

 Not sure what this means but hopefully it will provide some insights to someone.

 Cheers,
 Russ