gnome 2.16.1, hald, and openfiles...

Jeffrey Racine racinej at mcmaster.ca
Fri Oct 27 17:37:36 UTC 2006

Hi.

I have traced my open files issue on my machine to hald. This does not
occur on my notebook, just my desktop...

uname -a
FreeBSD pc-racine1.mcmaster.ca 6.1

Symptom - if hald is enabled, the number of open files grows and
eventually hits any limit set (25000 currently). If I kill hald, files
immediately revert to a stable number...

No hald running...

sysctl kern.openfiles
kern.openfiles: 1208
sleep 10
sysctl kern.openfiles
kern.openfiles: 1208

hald running...

hald
sysctl kern.openfiles
kern.openfiles: 1233
sleep 10
sysctl kern.openfiles
kern.openfiles: 1240
sleep 20
sysctl kern.openfiles
kern.openfiles: 1252

Looks like something is failing to close files, and any suggestions most
welcome.

-- Jeff

--
Professor J. S. Racine         Phone:  (905) 525 9140 x 23825
Department of Economics        FAX:    (905) 521-8232
McMaster University            e-mail: racinej at mcmaster.ca
1280 Main St. W.,Hamilton,     URL:
http://www.economics.mcmaster.ca/racine/
Ontario, Canada. L8S 4M4

`The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance'