Patch to add more GEOM support to hal

Jean-Yves Lefort jylefort at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 26 01:44:48 UTC 2006

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:06:40 -0400
Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Jean-Yves Lefort wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:23:44 -0400
> > Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >
> >> If you currently use a lot of different GEOM classes, and have noticed
> >> some strange hal-related behavior in GNOME when it comes to mounting
> >> disks, or seeing icons for RAID members on the desktop, try the
> >> following patch for sysutils/hal:
> >>
> >> http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/patch-geom
> >>
> >> This patch removes libdisk usage from hal, and replaces it with pure
> >> GEOM configuration parsing.  I'm interested in getting all feedback.
> >> The idea is to fix any GEOM-related volume problems without introducing
> >> anything new.  So if something feels worse after this patch, definitely
> >> let me know.
> >
> > - What are these GEOM problems?
>
> Virtual GEOM classes like LABEL, MIRROR, GELI, etc. are not handled
> correctly.  libdisk doesn't understand these.  Consequently, people see
> mirror elements as mountable volumes on the desktop (for example).
> However, these volumes cannot be mounted.

I see. Good move. Anyway libdisk "is an internal helper library for
sysinstall and should only be used there" according to phk
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/97164).

--
Jean-Yves Lefort

jylefort at FreeBSD.org