xscreensaver - advanced settings for savers?

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Thu May 4 16:57:26 UTC 2006

On Thu, 4 May 2006, Ewald Jenisch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After going through the upgrade from Gnome 2.12 to 2.14 I found that I
> can't tune the settings for the screensavers any more.
>
> In the previous gnome-release (2.12) when going to the properties of
> the active screensaver one could e.g. change the character size of the
> xmatrix saver.
>
> In gnome 2.14 when starting gnome-screensaver-preferences you can
> select which screensaver to use but can't change any specific settings
> for the saver in question.
>
> So here are my questions:
>
> o) How can I select specific settings for the screensaver selected
> with the gnome-screensaver-preferences

No.  You will need to replace gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver-gnome if
you want the old behvaior.

> o) Is there a user-editable config-file that stores the settings (I
> thought about hand-editing this file)

There are XML config files in /usr/X11R6/share/xscreensaver/config that
can be hand-edited.

> Please note, that the settings are not stored in ~/.xscreensaver. I've
> renamed this file (which dates back to somewhere in 2005) and it
> doesn't get re-written upon start/stop of gnome.

Right.  That file is only used by xscreensaver.

> Here's what I've installed (i.e. screensaver-related):
>
> xscreensaver-gnome-hacks-4.24_1
> gnome-screensaver-2.14.1

You'll need to uninstall both of these and reinstall xscreensaver-gnome to
restore the old functionality.

Joe