Very slow screensaver with 2.14

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed May 3 22:01:30 UTC 2006

The new gnome-screensaver in 2.14 is unbelievably slow. On my 1GHz
system it takes over 20 seconds to bring up the password window. I can't
imagine what it is doing all of this time. The screen un-blanks and the
cursor appears almost instantly, but it just sits there at that
point. On my 2GHz system, it 'only' takes about 6 seconds and my
Athlon-64x2 4400+ even takes about 4 seconds.

Anyone have any idea what is going on? Waiting 22 seconds is simply
painful!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)