gnome 2.14 issues

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 2 21:04:35 UTC 2006

eoghan wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>>
>> eoghan wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> First off thanks to all concerned for the 2.14 update. I have it up and
>>> running. I would like to ask a few questions; perhaps someone can help
>>> me... These have mostly been inherited from my 2.12 build.
>>>
>>> First off, my problem with Desktop -> Administration persists.
>>> That is, when i try to open anything in here it prompts for a root
>>> password which it will not accept, message is:
>>> "The entered password is invalid, Check that you typed it correctly and
>>> that you haven't activated the caps lock key"
>>> I am really stuck on this one, was happening to me in 2.12 and I waited
>>> for 2.14. I asked before and no one else seems to be having this issue.
>>> If anyone can give me any clues I would appreciate it.
>>
>> Works for me on 6-STABLE and -CURRENT.  I haven't had any problems with
>> these tools since I fixed the pipe problems a few months ago.
>>

> Thanks. Any suggestions on how I can resolve this?

No.

>>> The new "Login Window" at Desktop -> Administration fails to load with
>>> this error:
>>> "Could not launch menu item Details: Failed to execute child process
>>> 'gmdsetup' (No such file or directory)"
>>
>> Try reinstalling GDM.  This works for me.
>>

> Done. Same issues.

Ah, I went to the wrong Login Window.  Make sure /usr/X11R6/sbin is in
your path.  You also need to be root to run gdmsetup.

>>> I have also noticed (in 2.12 too) that from the Applications -> System
>>> Tools menu, New Login and New Login in a nested window don't load. There
>>> is no error message, just nothing happens. Same with Lock Screen from
>>> the Desktop menu.
>>
>> Make sure you have xorg-nestserver installed.
>
> I have this installed.
>
> Perhaps my original install is somehow tainted... any suggestions/tips
> on doing a complete fresh gnome install without a os reinstall?

Well, everything you report as broken works for me on multiple machines.
 You might try creating a dummy account, and see if things improve.

Joe

- --
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome