firefox crash

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sat Mar 18 22:43:52 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 22:36 +0000, guano at onetel.com wrote:
> jeremy# uname -a
> FreeBSD jeremy.rampart.co.nr 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Nov  3
> 09:36:13 UTC 2005     root at x64.samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> Firefox Makefile
>
> # Date created:                 2002/10/21
> # Whom:                         Alan Eldridge <alane at FreeBSD.org>
> #
> # $FreeBSD: ports/www/firefox/Makefile,v 1.145 2005/12/15 17:11:32 marcus Exp $
> #   $MCom: ports/www/firefox/Makefile,v 1.27 2005/11/28 19:28:49 ahze Exp $
>
> Problem occurs when running firefox as non-root. Going to www.debian.org causes
> firefox to crash immediately and coredump. I have firefox.bin.core if required
> (19mb). Other websites I have tried are OK. Mozilla does the same.

I cannot reproduce.  You need to provide a backtrace from that core file
so we can know better where the problem lies.  Search the Internet on
how to use gdb to do this if you are not familiar.

> Mozilla Makefile
> # Date created:         31 Mar 1998
> # Whom:                 eivind/dima/jseger
> #
> # $FreeBSD: ports/www/mozilla/Makefile,v 1.209 2005/12/05 18:55:34 ahze Exp $
> #    $MCom: ports/www/mozilla/Makefile,v 1.31 2005/11/24 01:43:42 ahze Exp $
>

> This machine was built by cloning the hard disk using dump|restore and another
> supposedly identical machine does not exhibit this behaviour. This machine used
> not to. The machines get used by a lot of different people but almost no-one
> else has root access. I have pkg_deinstall'ed firefox and reinstalled from a
> package I created when building the master hard disk from which this one was
> cloned. I haven't cvsupped anything since building it.

You might try:

portupgrade -fR firefox

On the cloned machine to see if that helps.  Additionally, try loading
firefox without any plug-ins on a clean test account, and see if it
still crashes.

Joe