How to change the sort order in gtk2/gnome file dialogs?

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Wed Jul 19 14:01:38 UTC 2006

On Wednesday, 19. July 2006 02:38, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 20:59 +0200, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 18. July 2006 02:50, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > > This was discussed a while back as I recall, and the conclusion was
> > > that since FreeBSD didn't honor LC_COLLATE, that there was no way to
> > > change the sort order.  I may be wrong on the conclusion, but you could
> > > try hunting down LC_COLLATE in the archive, and see what comes up.
> >
> > Surely you aren't saying every GNOME user on FreeBSD has to put up with
> > case-sensitively sorted lists? Isn't there at least a gconf key I could
> > modify or something? :(
>
> GConf is outside of GTK+, but there's no such key of which I am aware.
> As I said, I recall this problem being tied to LC_COLLATE, and thus
> nothing that can be easily done.

But is it really a FreeBSD issue? I used to think that LC_* were complete
no-ops on FreeBSD, but it seems I was wrong:

[lofi at kiste]:0:~ > locale
LANG=de_DE.ISO8859-15
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.ISO8859-15"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.ISO8859-15"
LC_TIME="de_DE.ISO8859-15"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.ISO8859-15"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.ISO8859-15"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.ISO8859-15"
LC_ALL=

[lofi at kiste]:0:~ > env LC_COLLATE=C locale
LANG=de_DE.ISO8859-15
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.ISO8859-15"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_TIME="de_DE.ISO8859-15"