How to change the sort order in gtk2/gnome file dialogs?

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Mon Jul 17 23:45:26 UTC 2006

I've been using GIMP for a while now (in KDE), and I finally tried to work out
how to get the file dialogs to use a sane sorting order, but, unfortunately
failed.

The environment has LANG set to de_DE.ISO8859-15, but the sort order in those
dialogs always remains [0-9][A-Z][a-z], i.e. as if LANG were C. Most
suggestions I got from Google and others involved using the glibc LC_*
environment variables, which of course do nothing on FreeBSD. Do you have any
suggestions? All this scrolling up and down between filenames starting with
uppercase and lowercase gets a little tiring. :)

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org