Sound/Video in Gnome 2.14

Frank Jahnke jahnke at sonatabio.com
Sun Jul 16 15:03:11 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 00:26 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 21:04 -0700, Frank Jahnke wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 23:53 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> >
> > > Sounds like gstreamer is not functioning properly.  What errors do you
> > > see when you run rhythmbox from the command line?

To summarize, Joe found (from "ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/rhythmbox") that RB
was pointing to the wrong libraries.

It appears that when I updated to 2.14 I did not upgrade all of the
media ports (with which I was not that careful).  A portupgrade to the
offending ports fixed the problem.  To be safe, I did a "portupgrade -rf
gstreamer" (at Joe's suggestion) to make sure everything was the way it
should be.  Everything now works.

So, this turned out to be a rather embarrassing rookie error.

My humble thanks to Joe, who once again has offered outstanding, and
timely, advice.

Frank