Sound/Video in Gnome 2.14

Frank Jahnke jahnke at sonatabio.com
Sun Jul 16 04:05:27 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 23:53 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> Sounds like gstreamer is not functioning properly.  What errors do you
> see when you run rhythmbox from the command line?

Without any options, I get a Gnome pop-up that says:

"Failed to create the player: Couldn't initialize scheduler.  Did you
run gst-register?"

> What gstreamer plugins do you have installed?

The standard ones with the Gnome install.  gst-inspect tells me that
there are 68 plugins, 466 features.  The list is rather long -- are
there a few in which you are interested?

> What gstreamer output sink are you using?

I didn't specify one (where is this set?).  gst-inspect shows the
following sinks:

pinot% gst-inspect | grep sink
gnomevfs:  gnomevfssink: GnomeVFS Sink
ossaudio:  osssink: Audio Sink (OSS)
udp:  dynudpsink: UDP packet sender
udp:  multiudpsink: UDP packet sender
udp:  udpsink: UDP packet sender
debug:  testsink: Test plugin
autodetect:  autoaudiosink: Auto audio sink
autodetect:  autovideosink: Auto video sink
gconfelements:  gconfaudiosink: GConf audio sink
gconfelements:  gconfvideosink: GConf video sink
esdsink:  esdsink: Esound audio sink
xvimagesink:  xvimagesink: Video sink
ximagesink:  ximagesink: Video sink
tcp:  multifdsink: Multi filedescriptor sink
tcp:  tcpserversink: TCP server sink
tcp:  tcpclientsink: TCP client sink
coreelements:  filesink: File Sink
coreelements:  fdsink: Filedescriptor Sink
coreelements:  fakesink: Fake Sink

Frank