evince so slow (compared to kpdf etc)?

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sat Jul 8 22:21:31 UTC 2006

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 15:03:51 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke
<marcus at marcuscom.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 21:47 +0200, Veiko Palge wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I recompiled poppler by disabling the cairo backend (added
>> --disable-cairo-output to CONFIGURE_ARGS in poppler Makefile) so that
>> evince uses the splash backend by default and the problem disappeared!
>> Evince now renders all kinds of documents it could not render before,
>> like eg
>>
>> http://beige.ucs.indiana.edu/M743/M743.pdf
>>
>> The versions are: poppler 0.5.3, evince 0.5.3_1.
>>
>> I wonder if the poppler port could be changed so the user can choose
>> between splash and cairo while compiling the port?  Perhaps a note
>> about the situation would also be useful?
>
> Submit a patch, and we will investigate.  Of course, this PDF should be
> tested with cairo 1.2.0 to see if that also gets rid of the performance
> problem.

When will cairo 1.2.0 move from MC ports to offical ports tree? I believe
that the 1.2.0 is both source
and binary compatibility.

> Joe
>

>> best, Veiko
>>
>> --
>>

>> Quoting Veiko Palge <veiko.palge at uni-konstanz.de>:

>> > as

>> > confirm

>> > not

>> > OK -- I found out the following:
>> >
>> > -- evince on linux renders the above doc ok, so it seems a FreeBSD
>> > specific problem
>> >
>> > -- evince on FreeBSD renders many other huge .pdf files ok, so it
>> > seems
>> > specific to that kind of document
>> >
>> > -- evince on FreeBSD renders a .ps version of the above doc
>> > (http://beige.ucs.indiana.edu/M743/M743.ps.gz) ok, so the
>> > problems seems with rendering certain .pdf files
>> >
>> > So what is so specific to that document?  That it has type 3 fonts?
>> >
>> > Veiko

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org