evince so slow (compared to kpdf etc)?

Veiko Palge veiko.palge at uni-konstanz.de
Sat Jul 8 19:47:05 UTC 2006

Hello,

I recompiled poppler by disabling the cairo backend (added
--disable-cairo-output to CONFIGURE_ARGS in poppler Makefile) so that
evince uses the splash backend by default and the problem disappeared!
Evince now renders all kinds of documents it could not render before,
like eg

http://beige.ucs.indiana.edu/M743/M743.pdf

The versions are: poppler 0.5.3, evince 0.5.3_1.

I wonder if the poppler port could be changed so the user can choose
between splash and cairo while compiling the port?  Perhaps a note
about the situation would also be useful?

best, Veiko