no pcm entry in mixer applet

Ivan Georgiev yngwiie at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 14:21:45 UTC 2006

Hello,
I am running Gnome 2.14.1 on FreeBSD 6.1 RC-1.

In the playback section of my volume control panel
i only have - Volume and Speaker and no PCM control.

PCM is not present in preferences as well.

mixer shows device as Unknown Volume Control 1 (OSS Mixer).

sound device is:
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <CMedia CMI8738> at io 0xb000 irq 9 kld snd_cmi (1p/1r/0v channels
duplex default)

mixer output is:
Mixer vol      is currently set to  52:52
Mixer bass     is currently set to  50:50
Mixer treble   is currently set to  50:50
Mixer synth    is currently set to  75:75
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
Mixer line     is currently set to  75:75
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
Mixer igain    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer ogain    is currently set to  50:50
Mixer monitor  is currently set to  75:75
Recording source: mic

I can control the PCM level through the mixer command.

Is there a way to get the PCM slider in my volume control applet?

Ivan Georgiev