evince so slow (compared to kpdf etc)?

Veiko Palge veiko.palge at uni-konstanz.de
Sun Apr 9 13:10:26 UTC 2006

Quoting Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com>:

> On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 12:27 +0200, Veiko Palge wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > evince (0.4.0/gnome2.12/FBSD 6.0 or 0.5.2/gnome2.14/FBSD 6.1)
> takes
> > forever to render *some* pdf documents (with other it's as fast as
> > kpdf), for instance this one:
> >
> > http://beige.ucs.indiana.edu/M743/M743.pdf
> >
> > kpdf renders it in an instant, so does acrobat7.  And: so does
> evince
> > itself (0.4.0/gnome2.12) on dragonflybsd!  I dont have a linux
> > installation at hand to see how it works there.
> >
> > So it seems a FreeBSD specific thing to me --- can anyone confirm
> this?
> > What might be the cause?
>
> The only difference I see is that pkgsrc builds cairo with glitz
> support
> by default.  However, building ciaro with glitz on FreeBSD does not
> affect rendering time.  D-Fly and FreeBSD 6.X are very different
> operating systems.  This may be some kind of pessimization in our
> read
> syscall, but I haven't really delved into it.
>
> Joe

OK -- I found out the following:

-- evince on linux renders the above doc ok, so it seems a FreeBSD
specific problem

-- evince on FreeBSD renders many other huge .pdf files ok, so it seems
specific to that kind of document

-- evince on FreeBSD renders a .ps version of the above doc
(http://beige.ucs.indiana.edu/M743/M743.ps.gz) ok, so the
problems seems with rendering certain .pdf files

So what is so specific to that document?  That it has type 3 fonts?

Veiko