Gnome 2.10 and sawfish -- comments and a question

Richard Kuhns rjk at wintek.com
Thu Oct 27 09:04:10 PDT 2005

Hello,

I've hit the point where I can't handle metacity any more, and decided
to switch back to sawfish. I've managed to do so, but it's not a very
clean way to do it so I'm going to describe what I've ended up doing and
ask for suggestions.

I'm running gdm started via /etc/ttys under FreeBSD 6.0-RC1.

I looked at the FreeBSD Gnome FAQ entry on changing window managers, and
it's missing a step. Before doing the 'killall metacity', I needed to go
to Desktop -> Preferences -> Sessions and change the state of metacity
from Restart to Normal. After making that change, I killed metacity,
started sawfish and saved the session; so far so good. However, from
that point on, gnome went from taking approx 15 seconds to start up to
more than 2 minutes. The splash screen froze on 'Session Manager Proxy'
for more than a minute. I later got an error popup telling me that there
was already a panel running (no indication as to which program was
complaining). After closing the popup and waiting a little longer,
everything looked ok. This wasn't a one-time occurence; I even rebooted
once just in case something was left runnning that shouldn't be.

Here's what I'm currently doing: First, I removed ~/.gnome2/session.
Then I went into the configuration editor and changed the default window
manager from metacity to sawfish. Finally, I renamed
/usr/X11R6/bin/metacity to /usr/X11R6/bin/metacity-dontrun. Now sawfish
is my window manager, and gnome takes no more than 15 seconds to start.

Any comments would be appreciated.
	- Rich
--
Richard Kuhns                   Wintek Corporation
E-mail: rjk at wintek.com          427 N 6th Street