Keyboard cannot input char under gnome login

Eugene Rogoza euro at i.com.ua
Mon Nov 21 06:12:06 PST 2005

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 19:49:34 +0100
> From: Jose M Rodriguez <josemi at freebsd.jazztel.es>
> Subject: Re: Keyboard cannot input char under gnome login
> To: freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
> Cc: wason wei <wason_wei at 163.com>
>

> El Domingo, 20 de Noviembre de 2005 10:39, wason wei escribi:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > My keyboard work well under command mode of Freebsd.  Yesterday, I
> > install gnome by the sysinstall command, and then add a new line:
> > gdm_enble="YES"  to /etc/rc.conf .  After I reboot the system, I can
> > enter the gnome window, but I found that I cannot type any char in
> > the username input box. and hence I cannot login to the gnome due to
> > the bad username and password.  Then worse thing is that I cannot
> > return to the command mode, either.  and I cannot use my computer
> > now.
> >

> You're hit by the init/gdm race problem.  Your gdm is launch before init
> can launch the gettys.
>
> but the mouse must be alive.  try go to a VT other than the firts and
> disable gdm.
>
> After that, try configure your gdm to use a static vt (not dynamic).
>
> Other way maybe rename gdm.sh in a manner this maybe the last local
> package init.  But this won't work if gdm is 'too fast' against init
> gettys.
>
> I'll be really glad to see this as default in FreeBSD gdm port.  gdm
> with dinamic vt can get you in this race for vt0 more often than
> expected.
>
> --
>   josemi
> --
> This mail was scanned by AntiVir Milter.
> This product is licensed for non-commercial use.
> See www.antivir.de for details.

I noticed this problem when trying to reread /etc/rc.* settings (going
single-user and back).

There's a script in /etc/rc.d named LOGIN:

#!/bin/sh
#
# $NetBSD: LOGIN,v 1.7 2002/03/22 04:33:57 thorpej Exp $
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/rc.d/LOGIN,v 1.4.2.1 2004/10/10 09:50:53 mtm Exp $
#

# PROVIDE: LOGIN
# REQUIRE: DAEMON

#       This is a dummy dependency to ensure user services such as xdm,
#       inetd, cron and kerberos are started after everything else, in
case
#       the administrator has increased the system security level and
#       wants to delay user logins until the system is (almost) fully
#       operational.

I think adding this dependency to gdm.sh (# REQUIRE: DAEMON LOGIN) would
do the trick (if I understand correctly what LOGIN means). But I didn't
try it out myself yet...

Sincerely,
Eugene