Keyboard cannot input char under gnome login

Jose M Rodriguez josemi at freebsd.jazztel.es
Sun Nov 20 10:49:30 PST 2005

El Domingo, 20 de Noviembre de 2005 10:39, wason wei escribió:
> Dear all,
>
> My keyboard work well under command mode of Freebsd.  Yesterday, I
> install gnome by the sysinstall command, and then add a new line:
> gdm_enble="YES"  to /etc/rc.conf .  After I reboot the system, I can
> enter the gnome window, but I found that I cannot type any char in
> the username input box. and hence I cannot login to the gnome due to
> the bad username and password.  Then worse thing is that I cannot
> return to the command mode, either.  and I cannot use my computer
> now.

You're hit by the init/gdm race problem.  Your gdm is launch before init
can launch the gettys.

but the mouse must be alive.  try go to a VT other than the firts and
disable gdm.

After that, try configure your gdm to use a static vt (not dynamic).

Other way maybe rename gdm.sh in a manner this maybe the last local
package init.  But this won't work if gdm is 'too fast' against init
gettys.

I'll be really glad to see this as default in FreeBSD gdm port.  gdm
with dinamic vt can get you in this race for vt0 more often than
expected.

--
  josemi