Problems opening files from smb/ftp in Nautilus

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Fri Nov 18 16:50:53 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 22:00 +0100, Hans Nieser wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have been having a few annoyances with opening files from SMB shares and
> FTP connections in Nautilus ever since I started using Gnome (2.10 / 2.12
> ) and was hoping if anyone on this list could assist me.
>
> The first problem, is when opening a file that is on an SMB share / FTP
> server to which I have read/write access, it is always opened in read-only
> mode when opened with gedit. The fact that this only happens with gedit
> and not with Screem (a web dev IDE), leads me to believe this is probably
> something with gedit. This is however a bit of an annoyance as I have a
> rather large collection of simple text files which I store on another
> computer, and I would really like to be able to open and edit these with
> gedit, and not Screem (which would be a bit overkill for simple
> textfiles), without copying them around all the time.

I think this is a limitation in gedit.  The same thing happens to me,
and I'm certain it is not FreeBSD-specific.

> The second problem is opening files from an FTP volume. I have made a
> 'connection' on my desktop to an FTP server on my LAN. When I browse
> through it and double click a text-file (opened by gedit by default), it
> errors and gives me a popup stating:
>
> "Couldn't display ftp://hans@royen:21/usr/home/hans/Documents/Notes/todo.txt
>
> There was an error launching the application"
>
> The file's permissions are rw (not x) and its filetype is "Plain text
> document" (I should note however that Nautilus' permissions column says
> "unknown" for all the files on the FTP).
>
> The odd thing is however when I right-click the file and open it with an
> alternative progran (such as Screem) by using the 'Open with "Screem"'
> option, it opens just fine. When I make Screem the primary application for
> the file-type "Plain text document", then double-click the text-file, it
> also fails. So this time around it's not something specific with gedit,
> because when I then right-click the text-file and choose 'Open with "Text
> Editor"' it opens fine (although, again in read-only, the first problem I
> described above).
>
> I've tried seaching on google but have not found anything relevant. I've
> been hinted in #freebsd-gnome on FreeNode IRC that it may be related to
> VFS, but my knowledge on VFS is rather limited and wouldn't know where to
> start looking. Can anyone assist me in tackling these problems?

I do not think these are FreeBSD-specific.  You might try searching
GNOME Bugzilla, and opening a new bug if necessary.  Note: the problem
may be in the way the .desktop file specifies the Exec line.  In order
to open remote URIs, you need to have the exec line be something like
"application %U".