ANNOUNCE: GNOME 2.12.1 has been merged into the ports tree

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Sat Nov 5 23:00:55 PST 2005

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 03:49:38PM +0900, KIMURA Yasuhiro wrote:
> But It is good time for me (and for other 4.x users probably) to
> consider the migration from 4.x to 5.3 or 6.0 because one of most
> major applications in ports tree has decided to stop support of 4.x.

Yes, I believe this to be the case (except s/5.3/5.4/).

> Now FreeBSD has 4 non-obsolete lines and it is hard for large and
> complex applications to support all of them. So it will not be far in
> the future that 2nd and 3rd ones will come.

As I understand the next major release of the KDE libraries will also
not be supported (at least by default) on 4.X.  So that will be the
next one.

Fortunately, the degree of changes between 5.X, 6.X, and -CURRENT is
relatively small.  Unfortunately, the degree of changes between 4.X and
5.X was more signficant.

But to summarize, the time of 4.X being the best choice for a desktop
is drawing to a close.

mcl