Port upgrade: www/firefox. Added GUI selection support

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Jun 15 10:01:24 GMT 2005

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 04:09:33 -0500, Erich Dollansky
<oceanare at pacific.net.sg> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 03:03:21 -0500, Erich Dollansky
>> <oceanare at pacific.net.sg> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> Yes, please commit it.
>>   I disagree, GTK1 is no longer support by GTK developers. It's dead
>> and no  update for years. Therefore, I am in favor of de-support the
>> GTK1 and  force apps to use GTK2 if it possibles.
>>
> See it from some other point of view.
>
> I live here next to countries where people do not have the cash to keep
> up with the latest hardware. They still use, if at all, things like
> Pentiums just to have a PC at all.
>
> They run it then with some old Windows version. They do not care if it
> is legal or not. They also do not care if there are worms & co. on it.

That's reason why we should kill GTK1, because of no support and no
maintain for years. Avoid the world to have full of worms & co. from it.

> The main reason agains open source is pretty simple. Take a current
> FreeBSD, X plus its current applications and you will see an unusable
> system.
>
> Giving those people an option running a modern operating system with
> modern applications, but in an old style, gives them at least a chance
> to come in touch with the modern world.

I see the choices are:

1) Beg GTK developers to bring GTK1 back or fork it.
2) Use the different toolkits that is still maintaining.
3) Use the different browser.
4) Modify port in your local machine.

> This is why I support this idea as long as everybody gets the most
> current software configuration by default.

Not in my shoes if the project is dead. If GTK1 is alive and maintaining,
then my opinion will be different. I think, Debian doesn't has any of
Firefox with GTK1 support either. ;-)

BTW: Keep in mind, my opinions don't mean it's final. It's up to my team.
You already knew what my vote will be.

> Erich

FreeBSD GNOME Team