Sound works, volume manager does not

Douglas Silas dsilas at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 16:04:38 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm using Gnome 2.10.1 and my sound works, in both Gnome and KDE. I
have tried to add the volume control applet to the panel, but it
always gives me an error message. When I log into Gnome, I get a
couple of  "No volume control elements and/or devices found" error
messages. I have compiled support for my sound card into the kernel. A
kldstat returns "pci/snd_ich":

kldstat -v | grep snd
72 pci/snd_ich

If I run gnome-volume-manager from the command line, I get a message
saying that my "Registry is not present or it is corrupted, please
update it by running gst-register". If I run gst-register, it dumps
core:

> gst-register
Trying to load global_registry ...
Error loading global_registry
Added path   /usr/X11R6/lib/gstreamer-0.8 to user_registry
Rebuilding user_registry (/home/silas/.gstreamer-0.8/registry.xml) ...
Added plugin textoverlay with 1 feature.
Added plugin vcdsrc with 1 feature.
Added plugin gnomevfs with 2 features.
Added plugin xvid with 2 features.
Added plugin snapshot with 1 feature.
Added plugin png with 2 features.
Added plugin dvdreadsrc with 1 feature.
Added plugin dvdnavsrc with 1 feature.
Added plugin gconfelements with 2 features.
Added plugin cdparanoia with 1 feature.
Added plugin ac3parse with 1 feature.
Added plugin xwindowlistener with 0 features.
Added plugin gstvideo with 0 features.
Added plugin gstresample with 0 features.
Added plugin gstidct with 0 features.
Added plugin gstaudiofilter with 0 features.
Added plugin gstaudio with 0 features.
Added plugin xvimagesink with 1 feature.
Added plugin ximagesink with 2 features.
Added plugin cdplayer with 1 feature.
Added plugin ossaudio with 3 features.
Bus error (core dumped)

If I try to play a movie with totem, I get this error: "Totem could
not startup. Failed to create a GStreamer Play object."

I haven't been successful getting Rhythmbox to compile yet, so I don't
know if that works. But I can hear the Gnome desktop sound effects.
What should I do to get Totem to work, and the gnome-volume-manager?

Thx for you help.
dsilas