[ft-devel] Re: xorg crashes with freetype2-2.1.10

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Jul 20 19:01:38 GMT 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:39:56 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at FreeBSD.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 06:40 +0100, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:

<snip>
>> "-webfonts-courier new-medium..."
>>
>> may worth checking your font.dir - seems to be hand-edited - mine
>> is auto-generated by mkfontdir, and entry start with e.g.
>> "-microsoft-courier new-..."
>
> Ours is autogenerated by ttmkfdir.  You might fine some helpful hints on
> crashing X from this thread:
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-359535-highlight-aalib.html?sid=58ed6c452268c0e3f213df9db314ee45.

Okay, I have played with it more.. Guess what? Hin-Tak is right about
rename the name do cause the trouble for freetype2 2.1.10 with no patch.
The old freetype2 do accept the rename but not now in freetype2 2.1.10.

no-crash:	Run those..
			# cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/webfonts
			# rm fonts.*
			# mkfontscale
			# mkfontdir
			# fc-cache -f -v

crash:		Same way above, but rename all microsoft and monotype to
		webfonts.

no-crash:	Edit x11-fonts/webfonts/Makefile by remove the rename
		microsoft and monotype part. Just leave name default.

crash:		Leave x11-fonts/webfonts/Makefile alone and let rename
		microsoft and monotype to webfonts.

I think I am going to modify webfonts to use mkfontscale and mkfontdir
since it comes with xorg and remove the rename part. Then contact to the
maintainer with patch.

FreeBSD GNOME Team