editors/abiword-devel -- 2.3.2 is now available

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Thu Jul 14 20:13:48 GMT 2005

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:34:29 -0500, Mikhail Teterin
<mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com> wrote:

>> > Try ``cd /usr/ports; make fetchindex''...
>>
>> No. I don't need it.
>
> So, you'd rather force gratuitious update down the throats of hundreds of
> users, than be inconveniences by performing the above trivial procedure?
>
> I'm sorry, I don't believe, you are arguing in good faith.
>
>> Oh btw, marcus said that "We have no mandate either way, and it's the
>> discretion of the porter."
>
> Of course it up to the discretion of the porter (maintainer, rather).
> All I'm
> doing is trying to make the maintainer change its opinion...
>
> I observe, that you ran out of techincal arguments and resorted to "it is
> ours". Good luck...

I don't know if you misunderstood me or my English isn't clear. Well, more
like my English isn't clear. I don't know what to good explain.

You keep say that 'as long as headers match the libraries'.. It's not what
I meant. I mean that if new library (png) and new header (png) that don't
keep old stuff, then new AbiWord stuff that don't keep old stuff in it by
chase png (trash old API). If one of user still has old png, then result
AbiWord can't build on old png of library and header because user need to
update png first.

A real example, if you install old package of freetype then the result is
that new mozilla, firefox and other gecko-based port in ports tree will
not build at all because of freetype's old headers don't match with newer
mozilla, firefox and etc.

This is what I believe mostly that foobar.X is good to have.

> 	-mi

FreeBSD GNOME Team