gnome_upgrade212.sh upgrades EVERYTHING

Thomas Quinot thomas at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 15 15:18:14 PST 2005

Basically that script does a portupgrade -a.

That seems unwarranted, unnecesary and extremely dangerous, especially
since there is absolutely zero indication anywhere that the script is
going to upgrade stuff that has absolutely NOTHING to do with gnome.

The author of the script has all rights to think that:

# Everyone should run a portupgrade -a on their
# system from time to time anyway.

but it really seems more than questionable to actually enforce that
without prominent prior notice. Had I known that such sensitive packages
Procmail, Apache and MySQL (and 90 other packages with absolutely no
relationship to GNOME) would be upgraded by the script, I certainly
would NOT have started the process.

This is now likely to cause me hours of work to fix up the mess such
a sweeping upgrade is bound to cause.

Thomas.