Problems building Firefox 1.0.r2 on FreeBSD 5.3 RC2

kevin godfrey daemon.kevin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 12:42:19 PST 2004

Greetings,

I am having issues with building from port, Firefox 1.0.r2 on my
recently updated FreeBSD 5.3 RC2.

Here is the output of uname -a:

FreeBSD mako.tidalsea.com 5.3-RC2 FreeBSD 5.3-RC2 #1: Wed Nov  3
15:10:59 PST 2004     root at mako.tidalsea.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MAKO
 i386

The system was initially installed as 5.2 and each upgrade has pretty
much gone smoothly.  This is the first problem I've really run into.

I'm running Xorg as my xwindow server, with fluxbox-devel as the window manager.
When building firefox, the make runs with no issues.
When I make install, it hangs right after it outputs "Building
Chrome's registry..."

Through a little detective work, I determined that it is hanging on
the following line:

# Instantiate the extension space as root.
su - root -c "%%X11BASE%%/bin/xinit %%MOZDIR%%/run-mozilla.sh
${FIREFOX} -install-global-extension -- %%X11BASE%%/bin/Xvfb :1001"

That line seems to be the cause of the problems.  It never really
executes properly.  I have tried running it manually as root from
within an X session and from the comman line.  Each yields different
results.  Neither work!

What can I do to solve this problem?

Thanks for your time!
-Kevin Godfrey

ps - I am not subscribed to any of the lists and I apologize if this
is the incorrect place to submit this question!  If it is, please let
me know and I will resubmit the question where suggested.