Firefox vs. mozilla

Franz Klammer klammer at webonaut.com
Tue May 11 10:46:25 PDT 2004

Joe Kelsey wrote:

>I have a question about starting browsers.
>
>I am currently switching from mozilla to firefox, but find an extremely
>annoying behavior in the interaction with other gnome apps.  I have set
>up "File types and programs" so that http and https start mozilla
>instead of epiphany or whatever else the annoying gnomers want.
>However, I have a launcher so I can launch Firefox directly from the
>panel.  If I start Firefox, then when I press a http: or https: link in
>(for example) Evolution, it opens a tab in the running firefox.
>However, if I do not have a browser running, mozilla starts with the
>referenced page.
>
>However, if I change the "File types and programs" setting to run
>firefox instead of moxilla, firefox attempts to start a second instance
>of itself, instead of just opening a new tab in the running browser.
>So, my question becomes, how do I get firefox to start a browser if no
>running instance or open a new tab instead of always trying to start a
>new instance?  It annoys me to have the evolution link process open
>either mozilla or firefox depending on more or less random choice.

for that issue i wrote me a small script (based on the code from the bottom
of /usr/X11R6/bin/mozilla). use it instead of the firebird command.

------------- cut -------------
#!/bin/sh

FIREBIRD_CMD="/usr/X11R6/bin/firefox"

if [ "$1x" = "x" ]; then
        URL="about:black"
else
        URL=$1
fi

FIREBIRD_REMOTE="openURL(${URL},new-tab)"

${FIREBIRD_CMD} -remote "ping()"  && ${FIREBIRD_CMD} -remote
${FIREBIRD_REMOTE} && exit 0

${FIREBIRD_CMD} ${URL}

franz.