Desktop menu editor

Will McCutchen mccutchen at gmail.com
Wed May 5 20:53:20 PDT 2004

> I just viewed ~/.gnome2/vfolders/applications
> All applications in this folder carry a numeric
> prefix, e.g. ooo645calc.desktop.  How to find a number
> for them.

> I found another alternative adding applications to the
> drop-menu by right-click on it selecting -> Entire
> Menu - Add item to this Menu
>
> But I have not discovered how to add applications to a
> newly created Directory on the drop-menu

The preferred (and, as far as I've read, only officially endorsed) way
to edit the gnome menu is to go to the location "applications:///"
(without quotes) in Nautilus.  From there, you can make whatever new
top-level folder you want, or add any launchers you would like to any
of the exising folders.

If you're using "spatial" Nautilus, you can get there by pressing
ctrl+L, and typing in "applications:///" (again, without quotes, and
with three slashes).

-Will