Time to put ${PTHREAD_LIBS} in the x11/xscreensaver-gnome?

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Fri Mar 26 00:23:48 PST 2004

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 16:58:42 +0900, Alexander Nedotsukov
<bland at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

>>> Jeremy, I looked into your ldd output and it same to mine. There is no
>>> any single object linked against libc_r, libthr, libkse or libpthread.
>>> Can this be world + kernel problem?
>>> About the patch. Its purpose not link GL hacks against libpthread.
>>> They don't use any pthreads api so why we need this?
>>>

>> The problem isn't with the -demo binary, but with the hacks that the
>> binary loads.  On my -CURRENT system, libGL is linked to libpthread, and
>> so are my GL-based hacks:
>>
> /me confused and feels like missed something important...

Indeed, so I am.. :-)

> Wich crash we talking about than? xscreensaver-demo use fork() & exec()
> for hack preview. GL hack crash should not affect xscreensaver-demo. If
> I remove libmapping for GL hacks they start coredump but  still have no
> problem with selecting/previewing/using another non-GL hack.
>
> I was always thinking about this:
>
> hilton>$ xscreensaver-demo
> xscreensaver-demo: 12:32:45: error closing
> "/usr/home/stephenh/.xscreensav
> er": Bad file descriptor
> xscreensaver-demo: too early for dialog?
> Fatal error 'Unable to read from thread kernel pipe' at line 1100 in file
>  /usr/src/lib/libc_r/uthread/uthread_kern.c (errno = 0)
> Abort trap (core dumped)
> hilton>$
>

> Jeremy, can you try let's say /usr/X11R6/bin/xscreensaver-hacks/glmatrix
> from cli?

Actually, the screensavers work fine but I just can't run that
xscreensaver-demo w/out ${PTHREAD_LIBS}. It's how I caught
xscreensaver-demo crashed, because I want to disable the screensaver when
I noticed that screensaver was enabled. See my old thread (around three
weeks ago)...

http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-gnome/2004-March/005480.html
[...]
Strange, I don't see anything wrong with ldd. It's weird that the
screensaver, itself does work fine but I just can't run that
xscreensaver-demo.

--
bsdforums.org 's moderator, mezz.