Galeon2 crashing on startup

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Mar 17 11:12:20 PST 2004

> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com>
> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:44:33 -0500
>
> On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 17:34, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > No luck! And now my other CURRENT system, my laptop has started doing
> > the exact same thing. I've completely deleted the linuxpluginwrapper,
> > but it didn't help.
> >
> > I do notice that I get the following message on my terminal when I start
> > galeon:
> > (galeon-bin:2133): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1294 (g_object_add_weak_pointer): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
> >
> > This was with no plugins and the linuxpluginwrapper port deleted.
> >
> > I will be leaving on travel Sunday and may not have much chance to try
> > things before Monday, so no need to rush any suggestions.

Well, I'm back to running galeon. The problem was a bit weird, but is
almost certainly a non-FreeBSD specific one.

I had a specific web page loaded when I exited galeon. The page rendered
when originally loaded, but, when displayed (in a tab) at galeon startup
from the saved session, it produced the GLib error shown and led to
galeon crashing in an ugly manner where I was unable to get a backtrace
or core file.

I deleted the entry for that page from .galeon/session_saved.xml and
galeon once again started up without a crash.

Now for proof that I am an idiot. I forgot to record the URL of the site
that caused the problem, so I have no way to do further debugging on
it. :-(

But, at least galeon lives again. Now on to gnome-2.6!

Thanks again for all your help.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)