Review gstreamer{,-plugins} + libmpeg2 updates

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sun Mar 14 19:04:13 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 20:11, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 11:29:41PM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 19:42, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > 	Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org> prompted the update of
> > > libmpeg2 port to version 0.4.0b
> > > (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/63439)
> > >
> > > 	The update went just fine so I began testing ports depending
> > > on libmpeg2 to see if they worked fine with the new version.
> > >
> > > 	Well, gstreamer-plugins 0.6.4 broke but we were fortunate
> > > that a service release 0.6.5 addresses the libmpeg2 issue. I built
> > > the new gstreamer-plugin 0.6.5 just fine and took the liberty to
> > > update gstreamer to 0.6.5 as well.
> > >
> > > 	gstreamer-player built just fine, plays avi/divx files BUT
> > > it works weirdly with mpeg video files. Try playing one.
> >
> > Sounds like there may be some issues with the new libmpeg2 library.
> > What other libmpeg2 apps have you tested?
>
> 	According to what I could gather from gstreamer mailing lists,
> it seems to be something with the way gstreamer is scheduling the mpeg
> stream.... They're complaining about problems with Totem. I didn't
> test Totem but I can guarantee problems with gst-player.
>
> 	So it leaves us with the question: do we update libmpeg2
> then upgrade gstreamer-* breaking gnome mpeg support? I'd rather
> hold on libmpeg2 update until we can guarantee gnome's functionality.
>
> 	And now, after a 'portupgrade -a', it seems I cannot reproduce
> the "problem". My gst-player simply won't work for anything instead of
> just breaking with mpeg.
>
> 	Anyway, take a look a let me know.

I know GNOME works just fine with 0.6.5 so that's not a big deal.  Any
word on the gst lists about libmpeg2 with gstreamer-0.7.6?  If they work
together, I can commit the libmpeg2 update to my CVS repo, and bring it
in with GNOME 2.6 at the end of the month.

Koop Mast is working on keeping the list of plug-ins up-to-date in
gst-0.7.x.  I'll see if he would be interested in testing out the new
libmpeg2 and see how it behaves.

Joe