Making and Installing Mono 0.30.1 on FreeBSD 5.1

Miguel Mendez flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org
Mon Mar 8 07:47:02 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 16:54, Joseph A. Golkosky wrote:

> mono-0.30.1 is marked as broken: Unknown component pkgconfig.
>
> What is going on here? Is there a way that I can get it to work? I can get
> mono 0.24 working just fine. However, I need to have a more recent version
> of mono running on my system as I would like to do a port of mod_mono onto
> FreeBSD, and the available sources are only compatible with more recent
> versions on mono.

I've been playing around with it on my 5.2.1 box. Both the supplied GC
and the external boehmgc fail to work. A trivial hello world program
works, but nothing more complicated than that. I'm not sure why, the
problem is in misc.c, but it's not easy to debug. Seems like an endless
recursion in the garbage collector and/or stack corruption. If you want
to give debugging a go you can try this:

cd /usr/ports/lang/mono ; env CFLAGS="-g" STRIP="" make install (don't
clean)
cd /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk-sharp; make build
gdb `which mono` $WRKSRC/parser/mono.core

Let the fun begin, as the offending line is '{' :-)

	Miguel Mendez <flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org>
	http://www.energyhq.es.eu.org
	PGP Key: 0xDC8514F1