gnumeric no longer starts

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Mar 5 14:28:12 PST 2004

For the past week I have been unable to get gnumeric to start, even with
a blank sheet. After poking at it a while, I discovered that it is
connecting to the lpd daemon on my systems and hanging with the daemon
running at about 6 or 7% of the CPU forever. If I kill lpd, gnumeric
comes up!

Any idea what gnumeric is doing that causes it to connect to the daemon?

An important issue (and the more likely source of the problem) is that I
run LPRng (ports/sysutils/LPRng) on my systems. I suspect hat this is
causing the problem, but it is SUPPOSED to be fully compatible at the
socket layer with the standard lpd. A new version went into ports last
week and that is almost certainly when the trouble began.

N.B. I don't really think that this is a gnome issue. I'm just hoping
for a clue to lead me in the right direction to troubleshoot this.

Thanks,
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)