x.org discussion

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Jun 30 16:12:51 PDT 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:20:31 -0700, Joe Kelsey <joe at zircon.seattle.wa.us>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 15:10, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:52:36 -0700, Joe Kelsey
>> <joe at zircon.seattle.wa.us>
>> wrote:

>> about
>> XFree86.
>> >
>> > I just replaced XFree86 with X.org.  It took quite a bit of work, even
>> > with the meta-port.  I had major trouble with the meta-port due to
>> > poorly=specified prerequisites and inability of portinstall to operate
>> > on it.
>>
>> I have no problem here with pkgdb to replace XFree86 to xorg.
>
> Did I say *anything* about pkgdb in my message?  I cannot use
> portinstall/portupgrade to install/upgrade xorg because the ports do not
> appear in the ports database.  I cannot use portsdb to update the ports
> database because someone changed it to no longer ignore errors related
> to missing languages.  Since I do not have, for instance, any japanese
> directories in my checked-out files, portsdb -Uu fails dues to inability
> to find these requirements when rebuilding the database.  It used to
> blithely ignore these errors, but no longer does.  Therefore, I cannot
> rebuild the database to include the xorg ports, therefore I cannot use
> portinstall/portupgrade to install/upgrade the xorg ports.  pkgdb -F
> still works fine, except I do not know what XFree86-fontScalable
> corresponds to.

portupgrade works for me and portupgrade do not need to read the INDEX,
but I have my own portinstall script that is not come from the
portupgrade. I forgot about that I have different portinstall, so yes you
are right about the one from portupgrade's portinstall will not work.

===================================
# grep xorg /usr/ports/INDEX
# grep xorg /usr/ports/INDEX-5
[...empty...]

# ee /usr/ports/x11/xorg/Makefile (6.7.0 -> 6.7.1)

# pkg_version -l \<
mysql-client                        <
xorg                                <

# portupgrade -ra
--->  Skipping 'databases/mysql41-client' because it is held by user
(specify -f to force)
--->  Skipping 'databases/p5-DBD-mysql41' because it is held by user
(specify -f to force)
--->  Skipping 'x11/nvidia-driver' because it is held by user (specify -f
to force)
--->  Upgrading 'xorg-6.7.0' to 'xorg-6.7.1' (x11/xorg)
--->  Building '/usr/ports/x11/xorg'
===>  Cleaning for libiconv-1.9.1_3
[...goes on...]

I never have rebuild the INDEX at all, which it doesn't need for the
portupgrade to upgrade stuff.

As for XFree86-fontScalable, I just point it to xorg-fonts-truetype.

> /Joe

FreeBSD GNOME Team
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome/ - gnome at FreeBSD.org