A few problems with X.org desktop

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Sat Jun 26 03:42:34 PDT 2004

I just switched from XFree86 to the X.org system, and now after logging
into GNOME, I'm getting an error dialog saying:

There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not
work correctly.

The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.

The last error message was:

Failed to read from child process: Invalid argument

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log
in.

A few of my applets failed to load as well (Show Desktop, Workspace
Switcher, Window List), complaining like so:

The panel encountered a problem while loading
"OAFIID:GNOME_ShowDesktopApplet".
Details: Failed to resolve, or extend
'!prefs_key=/apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/applet_6/prefs;backgrou
nd=none:;orient=up;size=medium;locked_down=false

Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?

Should I just rebuild GNOME, or is there an easier way?

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"