HEADS UP: New gconf key policy

John Merryweather Cooper johnmary at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 23 20:00:10 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 09:20:25PM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> Please take a look at the latest update to archivers/fileroller, and let
> me know what you think.  This is the new gconf policy I think we need to
> adopt if we're to survive the upcoming gconf changes in GNOME 2.8 (it's
> similar to the way we handle OMF files now).  This will also make gconf
> handling much more robust with respect to plists.
>
> The one downside I see with this is that we will miss Makefile bugs that
> prevent proper schema installation.  One way around that is to add a
> pkg-install script to each port that installs gconf schemas, and do
> gconf registration there.  This may be more work than it's worth,
> though.
>
> What are people's thoughts on this?  Thanks.
>
> Joe
>
> --
> PGP Key : http://www.marcuscom.com/pgp.asc

Well, there seems to be an increasing amount of post-install tasks in
GNOME ports, so I think the idiom of using a pkg-install script for
each port is a good one.  Turning to a design issue, do you see the
changes to gconf handling as making debugging of gconf-related
issues easier or harder.  I'm having a devil of a time wrestling an
update of comms/gfax into working order because of gconf issues.

jmc