pango upgrade breaks audacity and mozilla ports

Ben Crowell crowell04 at lightandmatter.com
Mon Jun 21 10:38:15 PDT 2004

I corresponded yesterday with Pav Lucistnik about a problem with the
pango port (see below). Thanks, Pav, for your suggestion of recompiling
the affected apps. (I would like to suggest, however, that the erroneous
error message be changed; the method it suggests for fixing the problem
doesn't actually work.)

Unfortunately, recompiling doesn't actually fix the problem in many cases.
On my system, upgrading pango broke the following ports: pan, audacity,
and mozilla. Recompiling fixed pan, but did not fix audacity and mozilla.
Audacity produces the same error message as before recompiling, and all text
is displayed as dots. Mozilla runs, and prints the usual message
"No running window found," but then silently dies without creating a window.

This is all with a recently cvsup-ed FreeBSD 5.2 system.