bug in pango port

Ben Crowell crowell04 at lightandmatter.com
Sun Jun 20 20:19:56 PDT 2004

Hi,

There seems to be a serious bug in the current version of the pango port. Presently,
I find that if I do a `make deinstall ; make reinstall' of pango (as demanded by
various ports that want the new version of pango), the result is a broken version
of pango. Attempting to run any app that uses pango then gives something like this:

  Error reading modules file
  ** (audacity:41939): WARNING **: No builtin or dynamically loaded modules
  were found. Pango will not work correctly. This probably means
  there was an error in the creation of:
    '/usr/X11R6/etc/pango/pango.modules'
  You may be able to recreate this file by running pango-querymodules.

All the text in these applications then shows up as dots rather than text.
Following the advice in the error message does not fix the problem, and in
fact the file already exists, and points to a directory full of modules.
To fix a system that's been bitten by this bug, the only solution I've found
is to restore /usr/X11R6/lib, /usr/local/lib, and /usr/X11R6/etc from
backup. The /usr/X11R6/etc directory seems to be the one containing the
data files that pango is upset about.

All of this is on a FreeBSD 5.2 system that's been cvsup-ed recently.

Thanks in advance for anything you can do to fix this problem!

	Ben Crowell