ports/67970: ports textproc/libxml, textproc/libxslt: bogus dependencies on devel/pkgconfig

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Wed Jun 16 04:10:28 PDT 2004

The following reply was made to PR ports/67970; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com>
To: Alexander Nedotsukov <bland at FreeBSD.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: ports/67970: ports textproc/libxml, textproc/libxslt: bogus dependencies on devel/pkgconfig
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:05:20 +0200

 Alexander Nedotsukov wrote:

 > Btw libxml just one case of many we already have. Do you realize this?

 A quick survey showed that - should you really insist that libraries
 should depend on build tools - you are actually missing a lot of them,
 the most prominent being security/openssl, other are devel/valgrind,
 devel/pcsc-lite, print/freetype2, graphics/png, www/neon, www/openvrml,
 x11/XFree86-4-libraries, x11-toolkits/qt33 and many more.

 Similarly security/clamav-devel now run-depends on pkgconfig, although
 I'm not aware of a single application using pkgconfig to link with
 libclamav (www/mod_clamav links with libclamav, but does so without
 using pkfconfig, and works fine without it being present at run time).

 You are right, I guess a lot of ports need to be fixed.

 -Oliver