Need feedback/review, a big change in AbiWord2 port.

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Jun 9 20:23:12 GMT 2004

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 19:44:59 +0000, Lee Harr <missive at hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> You do not mention, but I am wondering if you have ever tried or
>>> had any success building the plugins for AbiWord?
>>
>> Well, I kind of did mentioned about AbiWord plugins. It was in the
>> bottom  of email that you have stripped out, which I said, 'After
>> collect the  feedbacks and commit, I will try to take the look at
>> create a new spereate  port for AbiWord plugins.'
>>

> wups. sorry. missed that part.
>

>> Here's a full answer to your question. The truth is that I am not a
>> AbiWord user, so I haven't taken a look at AbiWord plugins yet. I will
>> poke it after I commit the big changes first and I will find out more
>> if  the build fail or whatever.
>>
>>> I have tried several times to build image loading plugins (.jpg
>>> and .bmp specifically) but when I do this, the plugins will not load,
>>> or else they crash the program.
>>
>> Is it what you mean by this feature, 'Insert -> Picture -> From file'
>> in  menu? If yes, then yes it does work fine with this new AbiWord
>> changes. I  am able to add *.jpg and *.png images in AbiWord.
>> Althought, I didn't test  with old AbiWord for insert images.
>>

> Yes. Exactly. Previously, it has always worked fine with .png images,
> but never with .jpg or .bmp

I didn't test with *.bmp, so I don't know if it works or not. You can let
us know as I have committed the AbiWord2 changes. It's good news for you
that the *.jpg works now.

> I know it is not necessarily a bad thing to teach users about the
> different types of images, but then also having to train them how
> to convert between them can get to be a hassle. Much easier if
> they can just add all of the common image types directly.

With the big changes of AbiWord2 should make users happy now. If there's
something else need more, just let us know and I can take a look at it.

>> If no, well what's name of this plugins? Care to point me the
>> directory?  :-)
>>
>> Later, if you still have this problem with Insert feature then you can
>> report problem again to gnome at FreeBSD.org and we will take the look at
>> this.
>>

> I will certainly be testing this when it comes out  :o)

Go ahead update your ports tree and update your AbiWord.

>>> Any chance of enabling .jpg image loading by default in the port?
>>
>> If it's different from the Insert feature above, then no I will not
>> get  plugins load by default. It's up to the users if they want the
>> plugins  then install AbiWord-plugins (future new port) and load it.
>>
>> If it's Insert feature then yes, it is enable by default with this big
>> change. ;-)
>>

> Very nice. I think .png and .jpg by default (maybe .bmp also...?)

It's enable by default with this AbiWord2 changes.

>> Cheers,
>> Mezz
>>
>>> Thanks for your time.

FreeBSD GNOME Team