glib/perl prob w/ portupgrade (FreeBSD 5.2.1)

Scott I. Remick scott at sremick.net
Sun Jun 6 21:00:55 GMT 2004

I'm having a strange problem upgrading ports that depend on glib (xchat,
gaim, etc). My glib is at 2.4.1_1 and the current version is 2.4.2. The
upgrade process for glib seems to think that perl isn't installed:

===>   glib-2.4.2 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.2 - not found

But it is:

su-2.05b# pkg_info | grep perl
perl-5.8.4          Practical Extraction and Report Language

su-2.05b# perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.4 built for i386-freebsd-64int

It seems it's hard-coded to look for 5.8.2 and can't handle that I have
5.8.4. Anyways, as a result, if I let the portupgrade process continue it
ultimately fails because upon attempting to install the new version of perl
it realizes that perl IS actually installed, so it aborts. Then this leaves
my perl install hosed and I need to make deinstall/reinstall on just perl to
fix it.

This is on a FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE system.

=====
Scott I. Remick   --==--   Jabber IM: sremick at jabber.org
Save the internet - Use a Mozilla-based browser: http://vtbsd.net/mozilla/
Jabber -  Ad-free, and because MSN and AIM just plain suck: http://www.jabber.org/
FreeBSD: Because making unix user-friendly is easier than debugging Windows. http://vtbsd.net/freebsd/
Out with Eisner, bring back Disney: http://www.savedisney.com/

A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Q: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?