thunderbird and "umlaute":öäüßin filenames created with gnome

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jul 29 08:23:01 PDT 2004

V čt, 29. 07. 2004 v 17:16, Franz Klammer píše:

> last days i had problems with thunderbird and attachment and files
> that uses "öäüß" in the filenames.
>
> guess gnome uses UTF-8 filenames and thunderbird use the current
> locale set in $LANG.
>
> if i create a file with gnome (e.g. nautilus) and like öäüß.pdf
> and set LANG to de_DE.ISO8859-15 it looks like this:
>
> http://webonaut.com/temp/umlaute_locale_de_DE.ISO8859-15.png
>
> with LANG set to de_DE.UTF-8 it looks like it should:
>
> http://webonaut.com/temp/umlaute_locale_de_DE.UTF-8.png
>
> i noticed this because i didn't see an image saved with thunderird
> in gthumb.

No idea about Thunderbird, but Gtk2 based applications including gThumb
use Utf-8 in interaction with file system, regardless on used locale
settings.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

What do we know about love? Love is like a pear.  Pear is sweet and havea
specific shape. Try to exactly define the shape of a pear.
  -- Marigold: 50 Years Of Poetry