It appears I was mistaken (re: lockups)

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Sun Jul 18 13:08:31 PDT 2004

If another list would be more appropriate for this topic, please feel
free to redirect.

I had posted several weeks ago about constant hard lockups of my amd64
box.  At first, I attributed the problem to GNOME, then to my kernel
config, but now it appears to me that the problem really lies with
Mozilla/Firefox.

I'm currently using the xfce4 desktop, and have experimented with other
setups, including plain vanilla twm, vtwm, sawfish, ...  Xorg is the
base for all.

In all scenarios, Mozilla and Firefox invariably lock up the machine.
Dead, cold, hard.  Powering off the machine is the only way out.

I've rebuilt libraries, all port dependencies, as well as Mozilla and
Firefox themselves, so many times I've lost count now, but invariably
with the same results.  Each browser will run OK for a few minutes,
then the whole machine goes south.

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this?  On the amd64 platform
or any other?  Any solution?

I'm currently avoiding using either browser like the plague, resorting
to Konqueror mainly for the time being.  But I would, of course, like
to find a resolution to this problem.

Debugging is practically impossible, as no information is left behind
anywhere after this happens.  I'm totally at a loss as to how to
proceed.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"