ports/69093: [patch] devel/pkgconfig does not search for .pc files in libdir/pkgconfig

Konstantin Oznobihin bork at rsu.ru
Thu Jul 15 09:10:37 PDT 2004

The following reply was made to PR ports/69093; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Konstantin Oznobihin <bork at rsu.ru>
To: pav at FreeBSD.org
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: ports/69093: [patch] devel/pkgconfig does not search for .pc
	files in libdir/pkgconfig
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:59:00 +0400

 > V èt, 15. 07. 2004 v 17:09, Konstantin Oznobihin pí¹e:

 > > > I see. pkg-config is already checking /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/*.pc,
 > > > /usr/X11R6/libdata/pkgconfig/*.pc and ${PREFIX}/libdata/pkgconfig/*.pc
 > > >
 > > > If there is some port that installs *.pc files somewhere else, like to
 > > > ${PREFIX}/lib/pkgconfig, it's the other port what must be fixed, not
 > > > pkg-config.
 >
 > > pkg-config checks libdata/pkgconfig instead of lib/pkgconfig due to
 > > patches in the current devel/pkgconfig port, only this patches requires
 > > other ported software (which depends on pkgconfig) to use libdata
 > > instead of lib. IMHO, it is bug in port of pkgconfig not in other ports.
 >
 > Depends on point of view. You call it a bug, we call it a feature. It
 > was deliberately added to our port of pkgconfig three years ago. It cost
 > us a lot of effort to keep up with it since. It help pkgconfig to
 > conform to FreeBSD hierarchy rules, which say "only shared binary files
 > under lib/, indirectly executed binaries under libexec/, non-executable
 > stuff under libdata/". I'm not sure we want to drop this feature, taking
 > the effort we put into it in past.

 I am definitely not want you to drop this feature. As you can see my
 patch just adds ${PREFIX}/lib to the existing list of directories. I
 agree that when it is possible we should make ports conform with FreeBSD
 rules. Also, I think that looking for things other than shared libraries
 in lib would not be a big violation of FreeBSD rules, especially if this
 behavior complies with rules of the paticular software.

 --
 Konstantin Oznobihin <bork at rsu.ru>
 Systems programmer and administrator