Gnome 2.7: Vino port

Tom McLaughlin tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Jul 14 20:41:27 PDT 2004

Vino was recently proposed on Gnome's desktop devel list for inclusion
in Gnome 2.8 and attached is a port for it.  It is a desktop sharing
service based on VNC similar to KDE's krfb and Windows Remote Desktop.
It provides a VNC server only, no vncviewer.  To use, first
`vino-session' must be run to start up the service.  You have to add it
to your Gnome session startup services manually right now if you want it
to always startup when you log in.  Next allow connections and set a
password (or not) using `vino-preferences'.  Once you have done that you
can connect using one of the VNC ports.

I've built this on -current but not 4.10 yet.  It even builds with Gnome
2.6 but the "Accept Connection" dialog is blank.  (Click in the lower
right corner where OK would be and your fine.)  I'm guessing this is
just an issue between GTK versions.  My Gnome 2.7 box is rebuilding
currently so I haven't been able to try this with Gnome 2.7 installed.
Also, I haven't been able to run this on another machine and VNCing to
yourself produces a really trippy effect...  So I really haven't been
able to test this port out properly yet.

Can someone please make sure I have the USE_GNOME options down right and
that the lone patch is correct.  I'm not a programmer so I had to google
to try and fix the problem, and that patch did it.  Thanks.

Tom

Gnome announcement:
http://lists.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-July/msg00051.html